Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Do you believe a “Suit” tells the truth? - Lite Lesson Week Four

Devon will be documenting her experience as she goes through our body transformation package! Stay tuned for her results and story! Go Devon!!! This is her fourth "Lite Lesson"

LITE LESSONS:

Suit – (ˈsüt ) noun: A set of matching outer garments, especially one consisting of a coat with trousers or a skirt. slang: proper noun for a business person —usually used in plural.

Being an accountant, I guess I would be considered a “Suit”. You know, the corporate type, in a more traditional business setting. But ask anyone that knows me, and that person can attest that I never stay a suit at any one job for more than 2-4 years. And with the search for a new opportunity, comes a need for a new suit (as in the garment, not the proper noun).

Looking over my resume, I can tell you exactly what suit I wore while interviewing for each job. Just like my multitude of job titles and responsibilities, my suits varied in different sizes. My very first interview suit was a simple black duo from Petite Sophisticate (remember that store?): the top was a size 2 petite and the skirt was a size 10 petite. For those of you who like to compare body shapes to fruit, I was a perfect pear.

Four years after that, my next suit was a 6 petite (jacket)/8 petite (pants). With each new interview, my suits had an upward trend; with my last interview suit being a size 18 for both jacket and skirt. Unfortunately, my body shape was now more like an apple (curves no longer as apparent).

With my new size and current job, I vowed that when and if I had a new interview, that suit would be smaller. Because this job has steady work hours and rarely any overtime, I am able to consistently workout. For those of you following my blog, you know that I have been dedicating myself to pilates and spinning at Cyclelates for about 6 months now.

My exercise efforts are more focused, and maybe I am more focused in my career direction too, because I realized I needed a change much earlier than in the past. Don’t get me wrong, I still like my organization and all the benefits (especially the work hours that provide time for a workout program), but I find myself wanting more. That being said, I began looking at internal job openings and was recently invited for an interview for a different position in another division.
I was excited for the opportunity but cringed at the fact that I was going to have to put on that size 18 suit for my interview this week. Just for comparison sakes and with no expectations, I thought I would give my 2008 suit a try. I stepped into the pants; all was well, clearing the knees and then slipping past the hips. So it was a little snug in the waist, but in my best Barney Stinson impression (from “How I Met Your Mother”), “This is going to be legen………wait for it…….…derriere’y!” It totally fit in the derriere, and I could conceal the slight pinched waist with the jacket. I had to look at the labels to remind myself of the size. Results - 12 petite jacket and 14 regular pants (hemmed of course). Morale of the story: This “Suit” doesn’t lie!

No comments:

Post a Comment